Top Ten DIY Trends for Candles
Candles are a staple in many households as they provide a warm, relaxing, and inviting atmosphere. There are many ways you can enjoy your candles — even more so if they’re paired with DIY activities. Here are our top ten DIY trends to get inspired and light up your world with candles.
- Paint or Draw
Decorating candle jars is a great DIY activity, especially if you decide to write a special message for someone or create a one of a kind gift. You can use paint, markers, or paint pens to customize your candle jar designs. If you’re personalizing a gift or making a home decor statement, you can use a Cricut to create a new label. If you need to remove the label here are a few tips:
- Use warm water and soap – just be sure to not get the candle wet
- Use a hair dryer to warm the label making it easier to peel off
- Use a bit of mayonnaise or a dab of alcohol on a paper towel to gently remove the adhesive residue
2. Crochet a Candle Cozy
Create a fun candle cozy that can be used over and over again. You can braid or crochet it together to fit your specific candle jar. You can purchase a cord at a local craft store or from an online vendor. Why not kick it up a notch and dip dye your candle cozy? It will add personality and style to your candle display. Below are the ones we dip dyed recently. These make for a great home decor enhancement to any candle.
3. Repurpose Your Candle Jar
If you have an empty candle jar laying around, don’t throw it away. Repurposing your candle containers is the perfect way to keep enjoying them after the wax is burned away. Here are a few ideas to get you started after the vessel has been fully cleaned:
- Sponge/kitchen scrub holder: reuse colorful containers to store kitchen cleaners like dish scrubbers and sponges
- Flower vase: add some fresh spring flowers
- Makeup brush holder: hold your go-to make up brushes in a really cute and accessible way
- Kitchen storage: store everyday essentials like coffee beans, quinoa, rice, or nuts
- Pencil/pen holder: give your pens a sleep place to live in a chic vessel
- Travel jewelry tin: take your jewelry with you in style by reusing your tins as a home for your rings and things when you travel
- Piggy bank: store your coins in a candle jar
4. Create a Candle Wall Sconce
Transform your candle into a wall sconce by attaching a metal or wood frame to your candle vessel, and then hanging it on the wall using a hook or nail. This will create a cozy and decorative ambiance in any room.
5. Make Your Own Wax Melts
If you have leftover wax from previous candle-making projects, don’t let it go to waste. Get creative and make your own wax melts by melting the wax and pouring it into small silicone molds (candy molds you can buy online are a great option). Once hardened, pop the wax melts out of the molds and place them in a wax warmer for a lovely scent. Or put them in a gift bag for bringing as a host gift.
6. Use Your Candle as a Wax Seal for Crafts
Use your candle as a wax seal for various crafts, such as sealing the edges of a ribbon or fabric to prevent fraying. You can also use the wax to seal a small bottle or jar for a homemade gift. This will add a personal touch to your craft projects.
7. Make Floating Candles
Use mason jars and tea lights to create gorgeous home decor pieces using dyes, fruits, spices, and botanicals. Floating candles make eye-catching centerpieces and are a low-cost way to frequently update your candle decor for each season. See how to make floating candles here:
8. Create a Candle Lantern
Create a beautiful and unique candle lantern by attaching a metal or glass frame around your candle. You can use wire or hot glue to attach the frame to the candle vessel, and then hang the lantern from a hook or tree branch for a welcoming outdoor ambiance.
9. Make Stunning Ice Lanterns
Ice lanterns make beautiful containers to light up outdoor space for weddings, events, or home entries. Learn how to make them using items you may already have on hand:
10. Transfer a Photo onto Your Candle Vessel
Customizing a candle with a special photo is an excellent way to turn an ordinary candle into a heartfelt keepsake. Photo transfer candles make great gifts for Mother’s Day, Father’s Day, Grandparent’s Day, birthdays, and many other holidays. This simple DIY activity can even be done by children with some adult help. Watch how to create a photo transfer candle: