Earth Day – Light the Way with Sustainability Tips from the National Candle Association
Earth Day is marked each year on April 22nd and is a time for renewed focus on our Earth and sustainable, Earth-friendly practices. While getting out and about continues to be harder this year due to the pandemic, there are still plenty of ways to support the Earth and her well-being from the comfort of your own home. For example, sustainable candle purchases, as well as, safe and clean burning and recycling practices is a great place to start. Plus, with candles, you can not only help our Earth, you can feel cozy and relaxed, too.
Try out these creative and useful suggestions from the National Candle Association to promote sustainability this Earth Day:
- Soy Candles: Soy candles, which are clean burning and made from vegetable oil, are rising in popularity among people looking to reduce their carbon footprint and opt for a visually appealing burn. Because these candles are made with a renewable resource and are biodegradable, consumers can feel good about their eco-choices, while basking in the warm glow. Plus, soy candles can offer a boost to the US agriculture industry if consumers opt to purchase a candle that uses US grown renewable resource derived wax.
- Beeswax Candles: Candles made from beeswax are a great way to support the environment by encouraging the growth of bee populations needed for pollinating flowers for food crops.
- Coconut Wax Candles: This plant-based wax is sustainable as the coconut tree typically has a low need for pesticides and fertilizer.
- Wooden Wicks: Not only do these candles offer the ambient sound of a crackling fire, they offer an environmentally friendly-sourced wick.
- Wax Melts: Instead of throwing out a candle low on wax, de-potting the remaining wax at the bottom of the jar can reduce waste and maintain the scent for a bit longer. There are a couple ways to do this. Consumers can stick the candle into the freezer, which causes the wax to shrink, and then pop it out of the vessel. Boiling water can also be used to get the opposite effect. By pouring boiling water over the wax, consumers can melt the way and it will float to the top. Once the water cools, the wax can be removed. Plus, you can repurpose the beautiful candle jar.
- Upcycle Candle Holders: Whether a gardening novice or a full-on pro, anyone can upcycle their old candle jars into planters to create a beautiful indoor garden.
- Consider Re-Fill Services: A number of candle manufacturers offer refill services for their products, meaning that the candle can be used again and again. This kind of service reduces waste and extends the life of candles.
Earth-friendly consumer purchases are always a trend that’s in style, and these sustainable candle suggestions will ensure you can celebrate Earth Day and enjoy the benefits and smells of candles hand-in-hand. NCA always encourages smart and safe candle use, on Earth Day and every day. For more information on candles and fire safety, visit our Fire Safety page.